Sunday, April 29, 2012


Since it was a cold, rainy day here, I couldn't work outside and it was too cold and damp to be able to open the windows to paint.  So, what's a girl to do?  Quilt of course!  Having nearly finished my last project, I dove into the center panel for Justine's Steampunk quilt that I had done the sketch of earlier.  It went together faster than I had hoped and I'm really liking the way it has turned out.
 The basic applique for the Steampunk Airship Quilt #1.   The block is 20 x 25 inches so it's pretty big.
I'm pleased with the detail stitching I've been able to get on the ship.  Those decorative stitches have come in handy.
All of the rope work on the balloon and the sail will come when I quilt it.  I've still got a couple of flags to add on the back of the ship and the top of the balloon.

I'm thinking this may be a prototype for something I may want to sell someday.  What do you think?  I haven't seen anything like it in a search.

Preliminary sketch

I got the Celtic Knot wallhanging quilted and the binding stitched on.  Now I just need to turn the binding to the back and hand sew it.  I told myself that I wouldn't start on Justine's Steampunk Quilt until that one was done but I did start on the preliminary sketch for the central applique panel.
I know it's really hard to see since it is just a pencil drawing.  But it's the airship with billowing sails.  I'm pretty excited about this one. I've even figured out how to give it a bit of a 3-D effect with billowing sails. I can't wait to see it take shape.  But probably not today.  Justine still needs to finish her prom dress for next weekend so she has co-opted my sewing machine.  I suppose I could start cutting out applique bits.  I always have my trusty 30+ year old singer I can use.
I'm also excited to get started on this one since I've got tons of Steampunk ideas in my head for quilts and not many people seem to be offering those out there in the world.

Monday, April 16, 2012

Celtic/Asian Fusion quilt

Long time- no post!  Things have been hopping in life, just not in the crafty areas. Oh, I did finish a baby quilt for a co-worker but I haven't been doing much Dreaming.   Until this afternoon. I was going to work on a shirt for myself but noticed this project that has been languishing in the sewing room due to the distraction of warm weather outside stuff.

So, I completed the top for my Celtic knotwork/Asian Fusion quilt.  I'm calling it Asian Fusion because most of the fabrics have an Asian feel to them.  The batik has chrysanthemums on it and the pinkish line in the knot is a tiny bamboo print.  I'll probably be using that as the backing as well and will do the binding in the dark purple.  Hopefully I can finish it soon.  I'm thinking that this may be a wallhanging for our bedroom... or I may see if I can sell it.  I'm pleased with how it turned out.